Monday, April 18, 2016

April is National Poetry Month!

April Is National Poetry Month!

I have written a little poetry (Haiku).

Here is the definition of poetry:
po·et·ry
ˈpōətrē/
noun
  1. literary work in which special intensity is given to the expression of feelings and ideas by the use of distinctive style and rhythm; poems collectively or as a genre of literature.
    "he is chiefly famous for his love poetry"
    synonyms:poems, verse, versification, metrical composition, rhymes, balladry;
    archaicpoesy
    "Walt Whitman's poetry"
    • a quality of beauty and intensity of emotion regarded as characteristic of poems.
      "poetry and fire are nicely balanced in the music"
    • something regarded as comparable to poetry in its beauty.
      "the music department is housed in a building that is pure poetry"

Here is the definition of haiku:

hai·ku
ˈhīˌko͞o,ˌhīˈko͞o/
noun
  1. a Japanese poem of seventeen syllables, in three lines of five, seven, and five, traditionally evoking images of the natural world.
    • an English imitation of this.


Here is the definition of  cinquain:


cin·quain
siNGˈkān/
noun
  1. (in verse) a five-line stanza.

And here is diamante:
(it actually is a kind of poetry, but I guess google doesn't have that in their dictionary. Here is their definition.)

di·a·man·té

ˌdēəmänˈtā/
adjective
  1. 1.
    decorated with artificial jewels.
    "a diamanté brooch"
noun
  1. 1.
    artificial jewels.


When writing poetry, you always have to think about word choice. 
If you're just writing everything that pops into your mind, you're doing it wrong!
(My teacher, Mrs. Yollis, had my class and I make a list of words that are useful in poetry.)


Here is a flower for spring time!
Photo by Xavier Parker

2 comments:

  1. Xavier,
    As a writer, I am very interested in poetry. I've written quite a few poems, but only a few that I have been happy with. I would love to read some of your work! Here is a haiku I found by Matsuo Basho

    Spring:
    A hill without a name
    Veiled in morning mist.

    What do you think? Love Thia Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Thia Jocelyn,

    That is a wonderful haiku! My favorite poet is Robert Frost. My favorite poem by Frost is, "Fire And Ice":

    Some say the world will end in fire,
    Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice,
    I think I know enough of hate
    To say that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

    What do you think?

    Sincerely,
    Xavier P.

    ReplyDelete